Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Aperture, Shutter Speed, Exposure

So I played with my camera today! Exposure is defined as "the total amount of light allowed to fall on a photographic medium during the process of taking a photograph." My mentor, Eric, had previously instructed me about how three characteristics combine to create light effects. I set the ISO, the measurement of the camera's sensitivity to light, on auto and messed around with aperture, the amount of light through the lens (aka how wide the lens opens) and with the shutter speed (how quickly the lens opens and closes). 


low shutter speed + high aperture = underexposure

balanced aperture and shutter speed

high shutter speed + high aperture = overexposure

insanely low shutter speed + high aperture = underexposure

low shutter speed + insanely high aperture = overexposure
 With a constant ISO, the effects of aperture and shutter speed on exposure depended on their relative degrees. The main difference between aperture and shutter speed, which would be the function of shutter speed to capture movement is not necessarily related to exposure: it's another effect and consideration. However, for my purposes, I was not working with motion shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment